31 December 2013

Blessings of 2013

     As the New Year comes I often reflect on the past year.  It seems that I do this even more while deployed.  So here I sit in Afghanistan reflecting over 2013 as I watch the last few minutes of this year tick away soon a fresh year will begin.  As a Facebook post I saw said, "Soon an old year will pass and you will have a fresh 365 pages to write on in the new year.  What will you write on those pages."  
     Before I begin to write on this new year's pages I want to reflect on the blessings of this past year.  I see this not so much a longing for the old as it is giving honor to God for what he gave me this past year.

     I will always consider myself blessed that another year has gone by and I have my bride still by my side.  This past year we celebrated 27 years of marriage and 28 years of being together.  She has put up with much over these years and once again another deployment.  FaceTime is a great thing for even now I can watch her as she busies herself around the house to prepare for her own New Years celebration with family and friends.  Modern technology is a blessing that allows me to celebrate New Years with her even 7000 miles away.

     A blessing that keeps on giving year after year is our girls in our lives.  God may have not given us children in the way we expected but we are rich to have such amazing beautiful women in our lives and their families.  I am not sure how we came about to deserve such great rewards and honor but yet God has indeed blessed us.

     Facebook has been shown to be a challenge at times in many of our lives.  Yet I found it as a great tool to keep in touch with family and friends as the Army sends me around the world.  Facebook was a great blessing this past year as it allowed me to connect to some special people that I had lost contact with many years ago.  I was just a young boy and they younger then me when, for various reasons and circumstances, we lost contact with one another.  Yet this year I received a tremendous blessing and that was an opportunity to reconnect with cousins from my Dad's side.  One by one I was able to reach out and connect with them through Facebook

     There were times over the years I thought I would never see them again.  Yet 2013 has been a time to get to know them.  To learn of their lives and to be a part of their family.  I look forward to the day that I can see them face to face and we get to laugh and cry and grow closer as family.

     Another blessing is the development of friendships at the church we attend off post in Colorado Springs.  You have to understand that as a Army chaplain I am often leading or assisting at services on the installation I am stationed at.  Rarely having the opportunity to develop connections with those in my denomination.  This year I feel I was able to make friends and solidify those relationships so even if we move away from Colorado Springs I know that when we retire back to the Springs we will just be going home to those at the church.

     2013 has had its rough patches along the way.  Out of the ashes of those rough areas new friendships arose.  What Satan used to attempt to destroy God used to build bonds that were used to strengthen others.

     Proverbs 16:9 says, "A person may plan his own journey, but the Lord directs his steps." I am not sure that I would have planned all that 2013 brought my way, to include a deployment to Afghanistan.  What I have learned over the years is that God does bless the path he takes me on.  I am amazed at where my life has come.  I have done more and achieved more then I could ever have imagined in both my personal and professional life.

     I am not sure what God has in store for 2014.  I am pretty sure that it will likely involve another permanent change of station (PCS) which will be our 7th in 9 years.  Thankfully it will also include a redeployment from Afghanistan.  This I do know that though I may plan my journey I will always pray for God to direct my steps.

     It is now almost 30 minutes into the new year.  My prayer for you is that you too will allow God to order your steps.  That in the midst of trials in the new year you will find blessings.  Happy New Year and may each blank page of each day be written on wisely.

1 comment: