19 April 2010

Doom, Despair, and Agony on me.

These are the pictures you don't always want people to see. The terrible living conditions and struggles the Soldier must endure.

When people see such horrible living conditions they run screaching in anger as they realize that not all Soldiers are still living in the mud and taking showers only once a week.

I have deployed to what is officially known as Arifjan and what we affectionately call Arifjail. This is my home for the next year. Well actually these pictures show my temporary residence since my permenant temporary home is still being occupied by the out going unit.

Now before you begin to think that there is going to be much improvement there won't. Showers are almost a football field away fortuantely the latrine (Bathroom, restroom, head, and for my Air Force buddies the powder room) is out my front door of my building. Which when I move will be that much further away.

Now that I have lost all pity let me see if I can gain some back. I the chow hall is at least a quarter mile down the road. Oh the pain and agony. Hmmm no tears or comforting sorrow. Did I say it was hot and to live in these conditions I have to endure going from the heat outside that is going to just get hotter and endure sub-freezing tempertures inside. It is such a hard price.

Picture 1: The outside of my area. We have taken a couple of blankets to make a curtain with 550 cord and gives us some privacy.

Picture 2: Looking down the building to my "room".

Picture 3: Entering my "room".

Picture 4: My space. Recently got the trunks out of the connex that was shipped over ahead and so have not put away my sleeping bag from when I first got here.

1 comment:

  1. Notice he has sheets, blanket and pillow. Oh and it is his "lounge chair". Actually the kind of ironic thing about this is he had better living conditions when he was in Iraq 5 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete