22 April 2010

Life in the Army... or Navy... or Army

Sorry no pictures with this blog today. The place I went has some tight OPSEC or Operational Security rules.

This week as I continue through the transition with the unit we are replacing my counter part has set up with the battalion chaplains that I will be taking over as their brigade chaplain to take me on tours of their area of operations (AO). My first tour this week was with the 164th Transportation Battalion out of Massachusetts. CH Durkee not only has large trucks in her unit but she is also the chaplain for four boat companies. This simply means she is responsible for the chaplain coverage of four boats.

Now these are not small boats they are a decent size. The thing to understand is these are not Navy personnel that operate these boats. They are Army personnel. So for a short time I was a Squid (don't tell my Navy buddies they will never let me live it down). I am told that the Army has more boats then the Navy.

I have to admit it was kind of cool to be on the boats. They are used to transport various equipment around the theater. They have offered that if I want to bring some Soldiers over they will take us out in the gulf and we can do some fishing and BBQ. Hmmm maybe I should stay on shore. That may be considered a cruise and since it has been De'Dee's dream for 23 plus years may not be a good idea.

While there the thought went through my head of the recruit at the Army recruiting station who has just made a decision to join the Army and as he signs the contract suddenly realizing that the job the recruiter talked him into was going to have him not spend his life in the Army but he might as well be in the Navy. Kind of like the Air Force forward observer who helps call in the air support for the Army. He joins the Air Force to spend the rest of his career in the Army.

The conversation home to their family has to be funny. Spent my day on the boat. Boat I thought you were in the Army. I am. But it was a boat the Navy has boats are you sure you joined the Army. Well I think so. My uniforms say so Army, but now I am not sure. LOL

On their own boat they can have an Army / Navy game between them. Must cause many to have split personality.

None the less it was a good visit and the first time in 26 years of service that I was on a boat the was not owned by the Navy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yes YOU are going to fish and BBQ... and nope you won't be living that down!

    ReplyDelete