09 August 2011

Back To School

I recently was ordered back to school.  Yes, you read correctly ordered.  Being in the Army there are many things you get ordered to do.  In this case it was to go to school.  The last time I attended formal schooling was back when I attended seminary in 1995.


Considering the options this is not such a bad thing.  My choices were doing all or part of the school online or attend the residence course.  The last time I did correspondence schooling it took me two years to finish the final classes to get my M-Div.  I in fact did sign up originally to do this schooling online in the summer of 2008.  By September of 2009 I was notified that I had 90 days to complete the course, I had not even started.  I rejoiced when I was selected to come to this school in residence.  In the Chaplain Corps to do ILE in residence is considered and honor.  They say I am the best of the best.  I know many who are better at being a chaplain then I.


The school that I am at is Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, KS. The course that I am taking is Intermediate Level Education (ILE).  It is my next level of military education.  In this case it is unlike typical military education in the fact that it is more of a college setting and is considered masters level education.  In fact many leave here with a Masters in Military Arts and Science.  Have not decided if I am going for another masters degree but the school itself is still at that level.


As I prepared for my first day of class the other day I caught myself having those typical first day of school thoughts. What am I going to wear (like I have a choice I am in the Army it is a military school I wear the uniform that I am told to wear.)? What if the other "kids" don't like me?  What if I don't do well?  You remember those thoughts you had on the first day.  Many of the thoughts I had were crazy for going to school in a military setting.  Some were crazy just simply considering my age.  I had to chuckle inside as the thoughts ran through my head.  All the good, bad, and ugly memories of my first days of school came flooding back.


The greatest challenge is getting back into the mode of homework.  I was telling De'Dee tonight that I feel like I am struggling to get the 25 meter targets knocked down let alone the other targets that are out there.  For those not in the military when on a qualification range you have targets spaced at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 meters apart.  25 meters should be easy and definitely not how close you want the enemy to get.  You prefer to hit the 300 meters targets.


Getting used to being in a college setting again is going to take some adjustment but I will get there.  I have no choice, for to fail would mean not getting promoted.  I am not done moving up.  Too many things left to do.


The thing that struck me the other day is that I was informed that "C's" are a failing grade.  I was dependent upon "C's" to get me through undergraduate and graduate studies.  They obviously did not see my transcripts or I am sure I would not be here today.  Of course then I was paying and working my way through school.  Here I am being paid to be in school.  Another example of your tax dollars at work.


For those taking classes my sympathies are with you.  I had forgotten what school was like.  Now I remembered why I did not want to go back to school.  I have encouraged many to finish there schooling.  I guess I best start setting the example for them and my girls.  Time to get a big straw and suck it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment