12 August 2011

Chaplains as Non-Combatants

Most know that I am an Army Chaplain.  I am currently assigned to the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, KS.  I am assigned here to attend Intermediate Level Education (ILE), it is a year long graduate level course.


Being in this scholastic environment has caused me to reflect on something that I have simply pondered and debated both sides in the past.  That topic is the regulation concerning chaplains caring weapons.


The reason I am writing this blog is to confirm or deny things that I have heard over the last 27 years concerning chaplains and fire arms.  The intent is to open a discussion concerning chaplains and fire arms.


For those who are not aware of the Army regulations concerning chaplains carrying weapons AR 165-1 states that chaplains will not carry a weapon.  For those who are history buffs you may be aware that chaplains throughout history have at times carried weapons.  Prior to 11 September 2001 the regulations was more ambiguous and said chaplains should not carry a weapon.


The Geneva Convention gives some evidence as to where the basis of chaplains not carrying weapons comes from.  The Geneva Convention states that chaplains are non-combatants.


So here is what you can do for me.  Tell me what you think concerning chaplains carrying weapons.  It does not have to be long but please just don't say that you think they should or should not carry weapons.  Give me the reason why you feel the way you do.  If this does turn into a research paper for school I may like to contact some of you for more input.


Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment